Should I be a jerk?

"My wife has just informed that she "may have, kinda committed us to adopting a puppy" (aka, dogs #3)... Should I be a jerk by sticking to my guns and saying no because I think that is crazy?"
Hmm. Tricky question. First off, being married, you could stick to your guns by saying it is a big decision that should be discussed between both parties. There's a nice way of saying that, and a jerky way. I'll leave it to you to pick, but I recommend steering clear of being a jerk.

On the other hand...man...puppies are so cute! They are cuddly and fuzzy and they lick your face and they fart all the time, which is so damn cute. Not to mention the fact that they pee when they get super excited, and chew on all manner of things. 

Ok, ok, I am biased. I like cats. You plop them in some kitty litter and they have some kind of innate homing device that leads them back to it every time they have to do their kitty business. I digress.

Don't be a jerk. But do talk about it with her, nicely. Your viewpoint is important, but will be lost if you don't have an in depth conversation. Present to her the reasons why you don't think another dog is a good idea. Listen to her thoughts. The joys of marriage are that you can have pithy conversations, and maybe even argue a bit, but it's wicked hard to break up and involves a lawyer. 

If all else fails, try this.

No comments:

Post a Comment