How do bugs breathe?

Mr.askLogs is mocking me a little with this question. (Yes, I know it is you.) A little creature made it's way into the house today. I kind of freaked out. I am not so good with the insectoids. I put a cup over it and then took 3 hours to move it outside safely. The Mr. accused me of suffocating it. Hence the question.

The answer is they don't have lungs, but they do take in oxygen and expel carbon dioxide. They have a system of tubes that run through their body, and through a process of diffusion, they take in oxygen and then exchange the oxygen for carbon dioxide. (I've obviously simplified things here, but I don't feel like I need to bore you with the details.)

Ok, so maybe he was suffocated by the time I got him out into the yard. But maybe, he was just resting, or maybe he knew I was a little scared of him and he was playing possum so I could get him to safety without flipping out and killing him. Poor little guy.  He did give me quite a scare. I was folding socks and there he was. He probably just liked the socks. I miss him. Sort of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment